Friday, August 10, 2012

Bayside Marina - Olympic Fanfare

My usual MO for getting ready for a Century ride is to start about 4-5 weeks early and to build my mileage and seat time up. I'm prepping for the NYC Century on September 9th and this was my first ride. The plan was to go from Rockville Centre northwest to Bayside Marina along the bike path on the Cross Island Parkway. Continue along through the park to the end at Utopia Parkway and swing back to home. Total for about 33 miles.

It was a beautiful day on Saturday (8/4) but it was stickier than a freshly baked Cinnabon. I took off and the first thing that popped into my head was of course, the Olympic theme. The 1984 one written by John Williams.


My wife and I have been watching a lot of the prime time coverage for the Olympics, which unfortunately has had a distinct lack of coverage of cycling. Except the last couple of nights I was watching the BMX coverage and that was really cool!

No BMX here, just navigating the streets of NYC on the way to the Crocheron Park bike path which is always nice during the summer as there's a ton of sailboats on the water. And at the end you get a really great sight of the Throggs Neck Bridge while passing a bunch of soccer players. By the way, what's a Throgg? And what's so special about it's neck?

I had a diatribe I posted on NerdNYC that I'll repost here at some point on my assessment of biking in NYC. It's a love hate relationship. I love biking in Brooklyn. I hate biking in Queens. That's harsh. There's some beautiful areas to bike in like Forest Park and the Crocheron path and Alley Pond, but the signage is horrific. Brooklyn's got great signage, but I always get lost in Queens when I try to take the Greenway. So I am forced to take the streets, which I know well but are susceptible to traffic lights and of course those nasty cars. My trip back seemed interminable on Francis Lewis Blvd, but it was such a nice day that I chose not to be negative.

Distance: 33.73 mi
Time: 2:12:23
Avg Speed: 15.3 mph
Elevation Gain: 417 ft
Calories: 2,202 C



No comments:

Post a Comment