Monday, August 6, 2012

Colonial Williamsburg, VA - Edge of Glory

I got the idea for this blog when I was riding in Williamsburg, VA. You see I have a long history of having songs stuck in my head and when I ride, the song kind of melds with the rhythm of the ride. Works really well when it's the pace I want. But it doesn't when all of a sudden Air Supply gets in there. That's not pretty.

Anyway, when I ride anything more than 20m, I tend to send out pics as to where I am to my wife and parents. My parents, my mother in particular, worries when I'm riding. That could possibly be due to the fact that I've been in two accidents with cars in my life - one when I was about 12 and another at the age of 37. Riding around Nassau County on Long Island, NY can be hazardous to your health. But that's another post for another day. Anyway, those pics are sent via picture-text over phone. But I have such enjoyment on these rides, that I figured I'd share them with a wider audience. Twitter's not my thing (although I may do that in the future), so I thought I'd do a blog. At least for the time being.

My family was in Williamsburg, Virginia with friends a couple of weeks ago, and as I am wont to do when I travel, I brought my bike and toured the area. On July 23, 2012, it was Colonial Williamsburg. My intention was to take the Colonial National Historic Parkway, but two things went wrong. First, the road is a rough cement which wreaks havoc on my 23cm tires. Second, there was a tunnel in Williamsburg that said "No bikes in tunnel". Knowing that they had pretty strict punishments in the 17th century, I decided not to push it.

So I ended up riding through Colonial Williamsburg itself and was rewarded. I'll eventually upload the pic I took on the site, but it was very serene. At 7:00am, there wasn't much going on so I really felt like I was riding through the 1600s. I smelled the sheep they had in the pastures (and immediately thought of the board game Agricola), saw an artisan walking down the road with bare metal in a wheelbarrow, and heard the sounds of silence - no cars. It was majestic.

Of course the song in my head to ruin that moment was Lady Gaga's Edge of Glory.


My kids are getting increasingly intolerant of music that they don't like on the radio; although to be fair, they do listen to a lot of genres. But whenever they can listen to a pop station with the latest from Lady Gaga or Bruno Mars, they get excited. And for some reason, like a positively charged electron to my negatively charged brain, it sticks. I will say though that this song produces a decent cadence. I wasn't going for performance, but when I left the colonial area and headed back for our rented condo, I put in a pretty good last mile.

Vitals:
Distance: 20.50 mi
Time: 1:18:10
Avg Speed: 15.7 mph
Elevation Gain: 416 ft
Calories: 1,144 C

No comments:

Post a Comment