Monday, August 6, 2012

Colonial Jamestown - Re: Your Brains

Still in staying in Williamsburg, VA, I took another trek on my bike when I had the chance. The humidity was absolutely brutal that day, so I headed out for an earlyish morning ride to try to beat the heat.


My family had listened to Jonathan Coulton's Best.Concert.Ever. on the way down to Virginia from New York. We're big fans, but one thing we hadn't counted on is the affinity that he has for the auditory cortex. Man, we were singing these songs all week long! Anyway, as I'm headed down John Tyler Highway (VA Rte. 5), I'm singing to myself, "All we want to do is eat your brains!" I believe I got a couple of strange looks from the people I passed on the path.

I do need to say that I was incredibly impressed with the respect for bike riders in Virginia. I often go in Purcelville, VA where we have friends and have done both Snickersville Pike (that's another post for another day - WOW!) and the W&OD trail. Now I can see that Virginia really goes out to help their cyclists stay safe. I happened upon the beginning of the Virginia Capital Trail which goes 50 miles from Jamestown to Richmond. The area I was on was a protected path that started at historic Jamestown, ran through cornfields and over the James River. You can't get anything like that on Long Island.

The humidity was a bit much, but it was a thoroughly joyful ride. I once again took a shot at the Colonial Parkway, this time as a route to Island Road, which should have taken me on a loop of Jamestown Island. Unfortunately Island Road was closed. I still need to upload the picture, but I got a distant shot of some old ships in the Jamestown port that was really nice.

As I left Jamestown, I was able to push the Coulton song out of my head and it was replaced by the second half of Spock's Beard album - Snow. I'd embed it, but for some reason the embedder won't take SB songs. Too bad, one of my favorite bands. I wasn't able to get a really great cadence going with the songs being all over the place, but I still had a really great ride. My only regret was not going into the Jamestown site like I had done with Colonial Williamsburg.

Vitals:
Distance: 21.39 mi
Time: 1:20:48
Avg Speed: 15.9 mph
Elevation Gain: 471 ft
Calories: 1,226 C

No comments:

Post a Comment