Sunday, September 2, 2012

Lake Naomi/Sullivan Trail - Goodbye Stranger

My family took a trip to the Poconos on Lake Naomi. Unfortunately we arrived a little late because my youngest son was beating back a virus with a plastic sword. But once we got there it was great. My day for biking was Wednesday, August 29th. I was hoping to get a really long ride in. We were staying in Pocono Pines and I wanted to go back to the Delaware Water Gap and then back. Unfortunately, my GPS was on the fritz again and I was not familiar with the area enough to chance it. So I decided to stick to around the lake and the Sullivan Trail, both areas I'd ridden before. My 60m ride shortened to about 23m.

So I should probably go into the reliance on the GPS at this point because it's obvious that I've been having issues with it and have been complaining. I have a really good sense of direction. REALLY good. But I also love gadgets. What may be coming across as a dependence upon this device is more like getting my hopes dashed and then dealing with them. Before I got the Forerunner 310XT, I used to use what I referred to as a "poor man's GPS". This amounted to an index card that I used after mapping a route on mapmyride.com, wrote the directions down, stuck them in a ziploc bag and taped it to my handlebars. It was dangerous because there were lots of directions on there if I was on a long ride. So one holiday season, all my relatives pitched in and got me the GPS I wanted. I am not dependent on it as many times I just go riding without a route in mind. But when I'm using it in an area I'm not as familiar with like the Poconos, or Connecticut, or many areas of NYC, it's really nice to have. Plus I love analyzing the stats afterwards (yeah, that's the geek in me). So when it's not working, or it won't take the route I had planned like in the Poconos this week, I get discouraged.

So I woke up, had breakfast with the family and set out. I rode around the Lake Naomi area at first and worked into the rhythm of the ride. It was about 68 degrees out with minimal wind so it was absolutely prime biking weather. After touring the neighborhoods around Naomi, I shot out onto Rte 940 and headed west to Long Pond Road where I hooked up with Sullivan Trail. It was there that I was met with my companion for the ride, Goodbye Stranger by Supertramp.


I couldn't find a better video than this, so it'll have to do. I have always been a big fan of Supertramp. I saw them back in the mid 90's at Darien Lake near Rochester, NY. It was a funny concert. Whenever they played a "new" song the fans were either quiet or even a few were unruly. But as soon as they locked into a classic like Goodbye Stranger, the Logical Song or Fool's Overture, the place was rocking.

It's a good song to bike too also. It starts out with just the electric piano with a simple melody. Roger Hodgson's vocals then come in and the song drives on, adding complexity and intensity as it goes on. It also resets itself with a very simple and playful chorus which then adds voices in contrast and it all makes for a song that drives along very well.

I finished Sullivan Trail (at least that section) and came back for a really nice picture of Lake Naomi.

It was a gorgeous day and later on I was on the other side of the lake by the pool with the rest of the family. But for now I did a loop around the lake and then came back with a picture from the same area, but around a man-made falls.

I promise, these photos will get better. I'm hoping to get an iPhone in the next few weeks. Anyway, the day was complete and I came riding into the house we were staying in after a 23m ride that was incredibly satisfying. Not the length, or as much climb as I wanted, but still just what the stress doctor ordered. I just love riding in the Poconos.

Vitals:
Distance: 23.57 mi
Time: 1:25:42
Avg Speed: 16.5 mph
Elevation Gain: 488 ft
Calories: 1,576 C

No comments:

Post a Comment